Taking Exceptional Care of Metro East Pets and Their Families for More Than 60 Years
At Hawthorne Animal Hospital, we see your pet as more than a patient. To us, they’re a member of the family—and just like you, we want to be sure our family members are as happy and healthy as possible! This heartfelt dedication is why our neighbors in the Edwardsville area have trusted us with their pets’ care for generations.
Started by Dr. Merill Ottwein in 1956, Hawthorne has evolved from a hometown vet clinic into a regional specialty center and 24-hour animal hospital in Glen Carbon serving St. Louis and the entire Metro East region. Today, Hawthorne is staffed by a team of renowned veterinarians with 124 years of combined experience in all areas of medical care and is equipped with cutting-edge technology to improve the health outcomes of the pets we treat. Because of our focus on excellence in every area of our practice, from patient care to customer service, Hawthorne is accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAAH), a designation only 12-17% of vet clinics in the U.S. currently hold.
With the addition of a second vet clinic location in Troy in 2000 and The Dog House grooming, training and day camp facility in 2016, Hawthorne continues to expand our lineup of services to ensure we offer a whole body approach to your pet’s overall well-being.
What We Value
- The wellbeing of the patient and client is to be put above all else. At Hawthorne, there is no such thing as a basic procedure. We go above and beyond anytime your pet is in our care, whether that’s initiating enhanced safety measures to better protect your pet during and after surgery or providing 24/7 ICU care if they’re suffering from a serious illness or injury. For pet parents, we offer convenient hours seven days a week to fit your schedule and Wellness Membership plans to make caring for your pet more affordable.
- Continued advancement in state-of-the-art technologies. Hawthorne stands at the forefront of the medical field by investing in equipment and technology that not only allows us to offer more life-enhancing and life-saving procedures to our patients, but also deliver them in a way to decrease a pet’s risk of complications, reduce their recovery time and minimize their pain. From non-invasive laser therapy that promotes faster healing to one of the area’s only underwater treadmills for physical therapy, we are continually improving our service offerings.
- Ongoing client education. Raising pets comes with all sorts of questions. Hawthorne is dedicated to answering any you may have through one-on-one consultations at every visit, free classes and workshops throughout the year, and online videos packed with helpful tips. In addition, Hawthorne offers free educational tours of our hospital to Boy and Girl Scout troops, local schools and other youth groups. To book a tour, give us a call at 618-288-3971.
- Continuing education of employees and veterinarians. All Hawthorne staff receive continuing education to stay on top of the latest advancements in critical care. We also undergo continual training to create a fear-free environment for every visit so there’s less stress for pets and their owners and less risk of injury for our staff members.
- Quality care—anytime you need it. With a team of nine veterinarians committed to your pet’s care, there’s a doctor on-site at all times—not just on-call. If your dog gets sick in the middle of the night or your cat gets injured after office hours, there’s no waiting around for care. Our veterinarians and staff are here for you in any crisis, 24/7, 365 days a year.
The team at Hawthorne looks forward to welcoming you and your pet to our growing family. To learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation with our vet staff, contact us at our animal hospital in Glen Carbon at 618.288.3971 or our pet clinic in Troy at 618.667.4900.
Hawthorne Animal Hospital Founded
Dr. Merril Ottwein began the practice in 1956 at the original building on Route 159, and created 4 additions to the original building.1956
Dr. Paul Myer becomes partner1997
Dr. Mckinney and Dr. Myer become ownership partners2000
Troy location opens2000
Hawthorne leaves its original location and opens a new state of the art location.2003
Emergency Services Added
Hawthorne in Glen Carbon transitions to an emergency hospital2006
The Dog House
The Dog House opens a Dog Park, Day Camp, and grooming facility.2016
Angel Fund Developed
The Angel Fund is developed.2017